Minnesota's in the Middle

All things Minnesota politics

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Super Tuesday

I was undecided until the last moment wether to caucus with the Independence Party, or the Repubican party. Ultimatly I decided the fact that Ron Paul's results in eary states don't change my convictions as a true fiscal conservitive in a world where fiscal Democrats hold all major offices from Norm Coleman and Tim Pawlenty to the white house.

Despite a bit of bible thumping I didn't feel the least bit out of place among a fairly diverse crowd. Turnout was much higher then expected and lead to a bit of confusion early on but ultimatly we had a straight and to the point caucus. With Rommney winning the straw poll 15 to Huckebees 11 Ron Pauls 9 and McCains 2. Although once it came time to select delegates it simply went to the 10 people who raised their hands and as far as I can tell Ron Paul supporters made up the majority, which leads me to wonder if his campaign may actually have done better then reported in caucus states as the straw poll is competly meaningless if the right peole don't become delegates. It will be interesting to see how this plays out going forward and at what point the old timers shut out the new delegates, of which I am one despite the fact I probaby won't be able to make my local convention. In any event my girlfriend also became a delegate and will go as far as she can first for Ron Paul and going forward for anyone but Romney.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home