Minnesota's in the Middle

All things Minnesota politics

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Bjorn Skogquist interview

Bjorn Skogquist interview

Todays Star Tribune has an interview with the 27 year old mayor of Anoka. Most newsworthy is his response of his political plans this year.

Q. What about your future? Are you planning to run for higher office?

A. I've been asked to run for a lot of different offices. I was asked to run for state representative twice now, and I've declined. This last time around I was asked to run for state Senate. I've been asked to run as a Democrat and also as a member of the Independence Party. In the case of our state representative, I think Jim Abeler [a Republican] is doing a great job and don't see any reason to change. If you're doing a good job for your constituents, I don't care which party you're from. I think that the Senate timing isn't right for me. I was also asked to run for U.S. Congress and I declined that because that is not a good idea for me right now. I'll do one more term as the mayor if I'm successfully reelected, but then I will have been in office eight years.

Lets hope he runs for higher office sometime in the not to distant future.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a citizen of Anoka, and a supporter of our young mayor, I can tell you that he is likely to go far in politics. He really is as genuine and approachable as he appears. He has a great vision, and a compassionalte heart, coupled with integrity. We're lucky to have him.

21:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am close to the mayor and I couldn't agree with you more. He is a self sacrificer almost to the point of a flaw. Anoka has been lucky to have him for as long as we have and I know the reason it is hard for him to move on is becuase his heart is really here and he cares deeply about this city. I hope he can run for higher office soon and continue to elp out our town while allowing himself a larger sphere of influence to help out others as well.

10:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home